FAIRCHILD 24R ARGUS III

C-119 BOXCAR

FAIRCHILD AIRCRAFT COMPANY
CLICK ON THE AIRCRAFT PICTURE TO GO TO THAT PAGE

Fairchild was an American aircraft and aerospace manufacturing company based at various times in Farmingdale, New York; Hagerstown, Maryland; and San Antonio, Texas.

The company was founded by Sherman Fairchild in 1924 as Fairchild Aviation Corporation, based in Farmingdale, and East Farmingdale, New York. It was established as the parent company for Fairchild's many aviation interests. The company produced the first US aircraft to include a fully enclosed cockpit and hydraulic landing gear, the Fairchild FC-1. At some point, it was also known as the Fairchild Aircraft Manufacturing Company. The Fairchild Aircraft Ltd. of Longueuil, Quebec, Canada was an aircraft manufacturer during the period of 1920 to 1950, which served as a subsidiary of the Fairchild company of the United States. The Fairchild Engine Company was formed with the purchase of the Caminez Engine Company in 1925.[1] In 1929, Sherman Fairchild purchased a majority stock interest in Kreider-Reisner Aircraft Company of Hagerstown, Maryland. The company moved to Hagerstown in 1931.[2] A series of related designs beginning with the Fairchild FC-1 and continuing to the Fairchild 71 were designed for aerial photography as a result of dissatisfaction towards available aircraft which were incapable of flying steadily enough at a sufficient altitude.[3] In 1935, Fairchild was hired by the US government to do aerial photograph surveys of the United States to track soil erosion and its effects.[4] Their performance and carrying ability led to them becoming one of the most popular bushplanes of the era. A Fairchild 71 monoplane, the Virginia, was taken as one of three aircraft by Richard E. Byrd on his 1928–1929 expedition to the South Pole. It was used for test flights and reconnaissance.

Fairchild 24R: Putting the Class back in Classic ALL GOOD THINGS come to an end, and the Fairchild Model 24 came to hers in 1946.
She really can't gripe though, The original 1933 24C, because thirteen years is a long time for anything to be in production virtually unchanged.
 The next thirteen years saw another seat added in 1937, minor styling changes, and several new engines, but other than that, the 1946 Model 24 was the same as the 1933 model. With it's outrigger gear and Ranger or Warner powerplant, the F-24 is a ready made antique.
A 1946 airplane would usually be called a used aircraft rather than an antique, but a 24R-46 is as "antiquey" looking as anything built in the 1930s, without being so old that termites are eating the steel tubing.
The 24 is so plentiful (the military bought over a thousand) and was built so recently that it has become the Model A Ford of the antique airplane crowd.

 The Fairchild Model 24 Argus, is a four-seat, single-engine monoplane light transport aircraft designed by the Fairchild Aviation Corporation in the 1930s.  THE ORIGINAL 1933 24C-8-C USED A 145-HP WARNER RADIAL AND CARRIED THREE PASSENGERS.   

fairchild 24g
Engine: Warner Super Scarab, 145 HP

A sturdily-built airplane, the Fairchild 24 adapted several automotive features including its brakes and roll-down windows. Initially built with just two seats, the third was added in 1933 and the fourth in 1938. One aviation writer described its cabin accommodations as “like flying your living room.” The early 24s were fitted with the Warner radial engine and over the production run several other engines were offered. Its structure is especially robust, using bigger than usual steel tubing. The UC-86 is the military version of the Fairchild 24R-40.

The Fairchild C-123 Provider is an American military transport aircraft designed by Chase Aircraft and then built by Fairchild Aircraft for the U.S. Air Force. In addition to its USAF service, which included later service with the Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard, it also went on to serve most notably with the U.S. Coast Guard and various air forces in Southeast Asia. During the War in Vietnam, the C-123 was used to deliver supplies, to evacuate the wounded, and also used to spray Agent Orange.